Speech Therapy in Waverley, England


on August 19, 2012

Welcome to Speech Bubble – a private Speech and Language Therapy practice.

What is a speech and language therapist?

A speech and language therapist has the training, skills and ability to diagnose a communication difficulty and help to improve that person’s communicative ability. Speech and language therapists tend to either work with children or adults. Speech Bubble works with children that have communication difficulties.

Communication is defined as “the imparting or exchanging of information by speaking, writing or using some other medium” (Oxford Dictionary). Communication is such an integral aspect of our lives that we take it for granted. It is not something that we are taught. Just like walking and eating we develop the skill to communicate as our brain develops. Quite often, it is only when communication has broken down, that we stop to think about how it works and begin to realise how complicated it can be. Communication, like other areas of development can be slow or difficult to develop. It is when this occurs that a speech and language therapist will be able to help.

“Civilization grew in the beginning from the minute that we had communication” (Thor Heyerdahl)

“My belief is that communication is the best way to create strong relationships” (Jada Pinkett Smith)

“Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success” (Paul J. Meyer)

“Communication is a skill that you can learn. It’s like riding a bicycle or typing. If you’re willing to work at it, you can rapidly improve the quality of every part of your life” (Brian Tracey)

Does my child need a speech and language therapist?

Your child may need to see a speech and language therapist if:

  • You regularly find it difficult to understand what your child is saying
  • If other people appear to find it difficult to understand what your child is saying
  • Your child regularly appears to not be listening
  • Your child is demonstrating  behaviours of frustration
  • Your child is experiencing difficulty learning to read and write
  • Your child does not appear to enjoy the company of others
  • Your child’s health visitor or teacher has suggested it

If you are unsure about the need for a speech and language therapist you can always call to talk through your child’s difficulties with a speech and language therapist and decide together if a referral to a speech and language therapist is appropriate. The points above are a very brief description of some of the difficulties a speech and language therapist may be able to help with. There are also many diagnosis of syndromes and disorders where a speech and language therapists’ input may be useful, including hearing difficulties and eating difficulties.

My contact number: 07740646043

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *